Friday, March 30, 2012

ROCKET LAUNCHES, SPACE SICKNESS ENSUES

Or What Happens the Day After Golden Heart®

Laurie, oh-Yoda-of-the-Golden-Heart (as Sharon was before her), told me I would feel like I had been hit by a truck in a few days. I didn’t realize it would happen so fast. No sooner had I wound down from my happy dance (for both myself as a double finalist for Unchained Memory and Trouble in Mind and for Laurie for Draxis) than I was hit with the viral equivalent of an 18-wheeler on Monday night. I don’t think that's what she meant.

In what I’m sure my Appalachian ancestors would explain as a form of karmic balancing, I’ve been completely flattened by a stomach virus all week, unable to participate in the heady social whirl of post-nomination giddiness. I was able to send and respond to a few emails before things hit on Monday, then to all intents and purposes I dropped from sight. People must think I was abducted by my own aliens. Not a bad promotional gag, but going a bit far, really.

I kept thinking I have the best opportunity for PR of my life and I can’t lift a finger to my keyboard! ARRGGHH!! Then, of course, I have to have a photo taken within a week, and I’ll look like one of my alien villains. Lovely.

Okay. But all this is just the stuff you say to focus attention elsewhere when you’re embarrassed to be in the spotlight. I am delighted and very proud to be named a double finalist in the 2012 RWA® Golden Heart® contest. I’m even more delighted that Laurie is right there with me again this year. You all know the ups and downs we’ve both experienced on the road to this particular turning point. And I know I wouldn’t have made it this far without the support of Laurie and Sharon and all you folks who consistently read and comment on our musings here as we struggle to find our way.

So thank you all. You make all the difference. Keep reading, keep commenting, help us keep our heads on straight. As Bette Davis once said, “Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a bumpy night!” as our rocket takes off.

Cheers, Donna

7 comments:

  1. Ditto, Donna. And REALLY glad you're feeling better. Don't worry, most of the fun and excitement is yet to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of Grannies famous roller coaster story :)

    ***

    When I was 19, grandpa took me on a rollercoaster...up, down, up, down, oh what a ride. I wanted to go on it again. I could never understand how a ride could make you feel so excited, so scared...so thrilled and exhilarated yet so sick all at the same time.

    Some people didn't like it. They preferred to go on the roundabout, but that just went around and around.

    I liked the rollercoaster. You get so much more out of it.

    ***

    Good luck!

    Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, no this is definitely NOT the kind of "hit by a truck" feeling I meant! Ya weren't supposed to literally get flattened.

    So sorry you were down. But not to fear, there's still much revelry, camaraderie and other -ries ahead for the next four months.

    Kurt, thanks for stopping by to chat. We love visitors.

    And Donna, that Mission Success magic is still working, than then some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you were poorly and missed the razzamataz - well there's another word I can't spell - hope you're completely better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, bummer! I hope you are feeling better! Re: Photo, think of it as losing the 5# the camera maliciously adds! (grin) You'll be "interestingly pale."

    rock on and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news, Donna! Congratulations! I was a GH finalist many years ago and I think I even rated a letter to the editor in RWR about the setting of my story. ;-) You'll have a great time, so enjoy it and I hope you win both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)